Sunday, March 28, 2010

Interesting things about Emetophobia

I wrote once before about my really deep fear of throwing up.
(You can read about it here)

Sometimes I have really bad panic attacks, sometimes it's not as intense. But I believe I have a less extreme case of emetophobia, the fear of throwing up.

Sometimes when I'm in the middle of one of those panic attacks, I look up articles, groups and whatnot about the subject. Over time I've picked up a couple of facts that I found interesting that I'm going to share.
(I don't know all my sources, but I learned a lot from this website.)
  • People with emetophobia get sick a lot less than people without it. I think it's mostly because they don't give in to nausea, they fight throwing up as much as they can.
  • They sometimes mistake normal, everyday feelings in the stomach to be nausea.
  • "In a recent Internet survey, the average non-emetophobic reported feeling nauseated 15.6 times per year when they did not actually vomit. The average emetophobic reported nausea 119 times a year! This is due to a few emetophobics -- these people who almost never vomit -- reporting daily, and
    even constant, "nausea." " -
    Emetophobia FAQ Pages

If I didn't have to live with it, I'd think it was a very interesting phobia.

BUT LUCKILY, that's not what I'm dealing with these days. I do have a very sick boyfriend. He's got the cough, fever, aches, and all kinds of other strange feelings. It's not fun to have, but it's not something I'm scared to catch.

I'll be glad when it's over. It's not fun being kept up all freaking night when people are sick.

No comments:

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails