Tuesday, October 26, 2010

My Father Figure


I just found this photo today. I love it.

It is the photo of the most amazing man in my life - my grandfather, and someone I wish I had the chance to get to know better - my grandmother. My facts might be a little off, but my grandfather was born in 1938, married my grandmother in 1958, and my mother was born in 1968.



My mother was the youngest of 4, and the only girl. I was the third grandchild born, and the first girl. So I was special.

Mom was living at home when she had me. My grandfather (Pepe) always never let me go cold - the furnace was always pumping out plenty of heat. To this day if I mention being cold he will almost immediately head downstairs and light the wood stove. Now that's love.

I was beyond spoiled by them. I even lived with them for a little while, to help my Mom out. I was in kindergarten, and Mom had just had my brother and sister, the twins. And at this point she was only 23 - the same age I am now. Crazy.

They would take me to visit Mom and I would want to cry when we left. Later on, when I was back home with Mom, I remember wanting to cry every time we left after visiting the grandparents.



I was 6 when my grandmother (Meme) died. It would've been June 1994. She had Cancer.  I wasn't too affected when she died, since I was so young, but I remember feeling sad. It made me especially sad seeing all my family crying at the funeral. Pepe didn't cry though.

Meme was the glue that kept our family together. I wish I had more memories with her, but I don't really have any. I hear she was an amazing woman though.

Mom sent me to stay with Pepe that following Christmas. He didn't want anyone around, but Mom didn't want him alone. She thought he would feel better having me there. I don't remember much about this Christmas at all though.



Once of my strongest memories (from shortly after my grandmother's death) was talking to Pepe on the phone, and him crying. It breaks my heart just to think of it now, 16 years later.

As the years went on, Pepe was always the one to buy me things I really wanted, and give me money on random occasions. A big deal to a kid. He was the one who gave us our first computer.



He was the one who drove me to my orthodontist appointments 2 hours from home. He had money saved for me for when I went to college. He helped me out with rent or bills anytime I needed it. He always gave more than asked. He's the one who worries if my car isn't working right. Who reminds me when I need something renewed for my car. He makes me feel more secure.

I'm finally able to (mostly) support myself on my own now, and only need his help for surprise expenses - like car troubles - but I know he would help me out in an instant if needed.


He really is the father figure in my life. I never would've made where I am right now without him. He is the most important man in my life and I don't know what I would do without him.

Fun fact: His wardrobe is full of shirts with funny sayings on them. Photo above: "Excuse me but do I look like someone who cares?"


Who is the most influential person in your life?

8 comments:

Tiff said...

That was so sweet! I love my grandpa too and miss him like crazy! Thanks for sharing.

Kristy @Loveandblasphemy said...

I wish so bad that I could have another day with my grandma. What a woman to learn from! Your grandpa looks like a good character!

Baby Sister said...

That was very sweet. :) Grandparents can be the best sometimes!!

Shell said...

He sounds like a wonderful man!

Anonymous said...

I loved this!

Salt said...

What a wonderful guy. I wish I had had a better relationship with my grandfathers. One of them passed away when I was really young and the other lived way out of state.

Anonymous said...

That's so sweet. Very similar to the relationship I had with my Gram when I was younger (she passed when I was 16).

mryjhnsn said...

He sounds lovely and how wonderful you have such great pictures.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails