Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I Need a Career

The other day I went through sort of a pre-quarter life crisis. (Similiar to the mid-life crisis. Quarter-life = 25 years)

It was a 'what the hell am I doing with my life?' kind of crisis. I work in a hotel, making a tiny bit more than minimum wage. It barely pays the bills, and right now my bills are nothing too crazy. 

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy my job most of the time. I mean, I'm at work right now blogging. It's great. I love talking to the regulars. I like the hotel work in general. Maybe if I was making enough money, I could see this being more of a permanent job, since most of the time it's so easy. But my barely-there income is not something I want to deal with for the rest of my life - especially with a baby on the way. I want my baby to have more than I did. 

I racked my brain to think of what I'd like to do with my life. I looked at all the courses offered at two colleges and the local university. Nothing really interested me. 

I don't want to do nursing, teaching, accounting, landscaping, dog walking or anything else I can think of. 

If money was no issue I'd run my own used bookstore, but I don't think I could survive on that kind of income. I'd love to be a writer, but you have to get published to go anywhere, and I'm not at that stage yet. Some days I think I'd like to run my own little inn or bed and breakfast, but when I think about it, I'm not so sure. 

Photography is the one thing I truly feel any kind of passion for. 

Right now it's frustrating because I'm just waiting around to see if I can get into the night photography course that starts in April. In the meantime, it's constantly snowing, which is not weather I like to bring my camera out in, and I want to work with human models, not scenery. 

I tried to set up a couple of photo shoots back in December. Unfortunately both fell through. 

I need practice. I need to learn. I can't learn from watching videos, as I've been trying every once in awhile. I need to get out there and do it myself. And according to a few videos, I need a new lens because apparently the lens that comes with the camera is worse than any cheap lens I could buy. 

I just need to hurry up and get going with this. I am getting impatient. This could be what I want to do. 


What is the hobby that excites you the most?

6 comments:

Shell said...

I hope you find something that you love to do!

Anonymous said...

Finding what you want to do for a career can be daunting. Especially when you now have the impending responsibility of another life on you. Best of luck, for sure.

kim {the non-mom blogger} said...

Blogging and photography are my two favorite hobbies! And if I had money, I'd add interior design to that list, too ;)

Carrie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Baby Sister said...

I've always thought running a b&b would be fun (even though they are frowned upon by the Gilmores) but I just don't think I'm creative enough. The only other thing I absolutely love enough to do anything with is computers. And I'm getting impatient for that to get going as well. I wish you luck on this endeavor...it's not fun.

Salt said...

1) That's a neat picture!

2) So funny that you posted this right as I was talking about my aspiring photographer friend. You know, if you ever had any questions about how she has gone about getting started, I'm sure she would love to answer them for you. :)

Jewelry making is my hobby of choice. I haven't had as much time to devote to it recently and I miss it.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails