Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas Traditions

I love traditions. Christmas traditions are my favorite. How about Christmas, questionnaire-style? Please play along :)



How many trees do you usually have, and how are they decorated?
Although I love the idea of a bunch of themed trees, we've always just had one. It used to be decorated with a wide, crazy assortment of ornaments but as we got older Mom started making it look a little more matchy/classy.

When do you opens your presents?
We always open presents Christmas morning. Mom and sister have tried to convince me and brother to open them on Christmas eve so we can sleep in, but Christmas is Christmas, and you don't mess around with tradition.

Do you open presents slowly, or rip into them?
We are the slow type. We take turns opening one present and once we put the present aside, the next person gets their turn. We're in no rush so why not take the time to savor it? That's definitely a tradition I will keep with when I have my own family.

What do you do on Christmas eve?
These days, we don't follow many of our old traditions now that we've all moved around. Back in the day, it would be the first night Mom would break out the Christmas baked goods. There would also be tons of chocolates, chips and others goodies. The main Christmas eve snack? "The Dip", as we call it. Basically your salsa, ground beef, cream cheese, topped with mozza cheese and baked in the oven. Oh so yummy. We would always open one Christmas present each on Christmas eve, and one family one. The family one was always a movie. For many years, it was always a Land Before Time Movie. We had them all.

Christmas dinner?
Always turkey. It's the one time I know for sure I'll get a big, amazing, turkey dinner. Where we eat it is always different. We've hosted it for all my Mom's family before. We've gone to have it at a different relative's places, we've had it with my ex stepfather's family before. The only thing that stays the same is that it's always with some kind of family and it's always turkey.

Do you get a white Christmas?
Usually. This year we get a rainy/flooded Christmas. We've been having some sort of wind storm for days now. 

What's your favorite part of Christmas?
Usually just the anticipations itself and the 'happier than usual' feeling I seem to get. The family time. The baking and turkey dinner are great as well though. 


I will be posting 'Friday Recommendations' tomorrow, as I did last week - with lots of fun Christmas links. Besides that, you won't be hearing from me for a couple of days. 


Merry Christmas all! 

3 comments:

Baby Sister said...

Love it. :) Let's see if I can get all the questions right...
#1: Usually just one tree, and my mom has a variety of themes that she chooses from, although lately it's been red and silver ornaments that she has fallen in love with
#2: Christmas morning sometime. My parents do not like us to wake them up early, and now that we're older we like sleeping in, so 10:00 or 11:00ish.
#3: Slowly. We take turns opening them as well.
#4: My brother's wife has a Christmas Eve party and we always go to that. Some of my sisters usually sleep at my mom's, but now that only 2 of us aren't married who knows what will happen.
#5: Usually ham and potatoes and rolls and jello and stuff like that. I haven't heard what the menu is this year.
#6: Usually. This year *sigh* I don't know that it'll happen... :(
#7: Being with my family and seeing their faces as they open presents. :) I love the giving part.

Anonymous said...

Happy Christmas!

Foursons said...

We open our gifts one at a time too. That's how my mom did it w/us and that's how I do it w/my kids.

Christmas Eve is different. We go to my in-law's house and it is a free-for-all. I hate it. You don't see what anyone got and you definitely don't see reactions to the presents. Every year I leave wondering if I picked up all my kid's stuff and who in the world gave them what. It's not fun at all.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails